Hardwood Floor Care Tips
Hardwood Floor Care Tips : To Do List
- Vacuum or sweep wood floors regularly
- Remove spills promptly with a soft cloth.
- Use a vacuum or broom for dry spills.
- Place mats at interior and exterior doors to trap sand and grit from incoming traffic.
- Have your floors recoated with polyurethane every 1-3 years.
- Use area rugs on high traffic pathways, pivot areas, near doorways and end of stairs.
- All rugs should allow solid wood floors to breathe.
- Avoid rubber backed or non-ventilated rugs.
- Install felt pad floor protectors on bottom of furniture.
- Maintain the relative humidity in your home between 45% and 55% because excessive humidity can cause wood fibers to swell, creating cracks in the finish.
We recommend that you clean your floors on a regular basis using Bona or Bruce Dura-Luster Hardwood Floor Cleaner (which can be purchased at Home Depot) according to the directions below:
- Step 1 – Vacuum or sweep to remove dirt and grit.
- Step 2 – Lightly mist an 8’X8′ area of your wood floor with the Wood Floor Cleaner.
- Step 3 – Using a back and forth motion, clean the sprayed floor surface with a terry cloth covered wood floor mop. When the entire floor is clean, simply remove the mop cover and wash it along with your towels.
Hardwood Floor Care Tips : Not To Do List
- Do not use any oil, or wax based, or other household cleaning products on polyurethane floors.
(For example – No Murphys Oil Soap/ Johnson Paste Wax)
- The use of these products can damage the finish and make re-finishing difficult.
- Do not damp mop a hardwood floor. An excessive amount of water can damage the finish.
- Do not let sand, dirt, or grit build up on your wood floor. They can act like sandpaper and dull the finish on your wood floors.
- Do not walk on wood floors with high heels; they can severely damage the finish on your hardwood floors.
- Keep pet claws properly clipped to avoid scratching your finish. There is no scratch proof wood or finish!
- You can prolong the need to have your solid wood floors re-sanded in the future by having them screened and coated as soon as you see wear areas forming. Just give us a call and we will make them good as new all over again!